- Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann) is a brilliant teenaged detective whose sense of self had come from solving mysteries in her hometown of Horseshoe Bay, Maine – until her mother’s untimely death derails Nancy’s college plans. Devastated by her mother’s passing, Nancy swears off crime-solving while crossing off the days until she can re-apply to college. But when a socialite is murdered, Nancy finds herself a prime suspect in the crime, along with a group of other teens present at the scene: Nancy’s nemesis from high school, George Fan (Leah Lewis); a rich girl with a mysterious past, Bess Marvin (Maddison Jaizani); Nancy’s secret boyfriend, Ned “Nick” Nickerson (Tunji Kasim), and amiable burnout Ace (Alex Saxon). The five of them must team up to clear their own names – encountering emotional entanglements and even more mysteries along the way. Nancy’s reawakening brings her into conflict with her widowed father, Carson Drew (Scott Wolf), who is dating Detective Karen Hart (Alvina August). And, when a supernatural presence begins to haunt Nancy’s investigation, she discovers that the current crime has an astonishing connection to the unsolved murder of a local girl. Whether the ghost is here to help, or hinder Nancy remains to be seen, but one thing’s for sure: Nancy’s going to have to unravel the clues from both the living and the dead to solve the crimes. Executive produced by Noga Landau (“The Magicians”), Melinda Hsu Taylor (“The Gifted,” “The Vampire Diaries”), Josh Schwartz (“Gossip Girl,” “Dynasty,” “Runaways”), Stephanie Savage (“Gossip Girl,” “Dynasty,” “Runaways”) and Lis Rowinski (“Dynasty,” “Runaways”), NANCY DREW is a production of CBS Television Studios in association with Fake Empire.
Cast and characters
- Kennedy McMann as Nancy Drew, a brilliant teenage detective
- Alex Saxon as Ace, an amiable burnout
- Leah Lewis as George Fan, Nancy's nemesis from high school
- Maddison Jaizani as Bess Marvin, a rich girl with a mysterious past
- Scott Wolf as Carson Drew, Nancy's widowed father
- Tunji Kasim as Ned "Nick" Nickerson, Nancy's secret boyfriend
- Riley Smith as Ryan Hudson, the murder victim's husband and Nancy Drew's biological father.
- Alvina August as Detective Karen Hart, dating Nancy's father Carson Drew
Season and episodes
|Season||Episode count||Premiere episode||Finale episode|
|1||18||Pilot||Oct 9, 2019||The Clue in the Captain's Painting||Apr 15, 2020|
|2||18||The Search for the Midnight Wraith||Jan 20, 2021||The Echo of Lost Tears||June 2, 2021|
For a list of episodes, see: Category:Episodes (2019).
On January 23, 2019, a pilot was ordered. In February, Kennedy McMann was cast as the lead Nancy Drew, Leah Lewis was cast as George, and Tunji Kasim was cast as Ned “Nick” Nickerson. In March, Maddison Jaizani was cast as Bess, Alex Saxon was cast as Ace, and Alvina August was cast as Detective Karen Hunt. Freddie Prinze Jr. was cast as Nancy's father Carson Drew, but in May, Scott Wolf was cast to replace him in the role. In April, Pamela Sue Martin, who portrayed Nancy Drew in the 1970s, was cast to guest star as Harriet Grosset.
Principal photography for season 1 began on July 22, 2019, and was to expected to end on December 9, 2019, in Vancouver, British Columbia before more episodes were ordered pushing it back to April 7, 2020. However, due to ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, production shut down three weeks before. In the events following the global pandemic, episode 18 served as the season finale, four episodes earlier than intended. Production had paused during filming of episode 20.
On September 29, 2020, filming for Season 2 officially began. However, production shut down the next day due to delays in processing COVID-19 tests in British Columbia. Luckily, the stoppage was temporary. By October 5, 2020 production had resumed. Filming for the season officially wrapped on April 29, 2021. Kennedy McMann confirmed that production never had to shut down because of COVID-19.
- Main article: Season 1/Gallery
- Main article: Season 2/Gallery
- The series airs simultaneously in Canada on W Network.
- On March 12, 2020, production of the first season was shut down indefinitely due to the ongoing COVID-19 corona-virus pandemic.
- Nancy Drew: Season 1 DVD became available for purchase on Amazon and in select stores on October 6, 2020.
- On October 28, 2020 co-creators Noga Landau, Melinda Hsu Taylor, and newcomer Cameron Johnson announced the development of creating the "Drew-niverse. The first proposed spin-off starred fellow Stratemeyer character Tom Swift and followed his journey trying to locate his missing father in a world of science and fantasy.
- On January 26, 2021, Tian Richards was cast at the titular character Tom Swift..
- On May 11, 2021, it was announced that Grammy, NAACP, and Emmy-award winning actor LeVar Burton would lend his voice as the AI Barclay in both Tom Swift and the backdoor pilot in Nancy Drew.
- The Nancy Drew episode "The Celestial Visitor" served as a backdoor pilot for the Tom Swift spin-off series.
- On May 24, 2021, The CW announced that the Tom Swift series was in contention with a decision not having been made yet. The news came alongside an announcement regarding the network's six other potential projects, where two series were given orders, one a pilot rewrite, and three were passed.
- on Instagram
- Official Facebook: @cwnancydrew
- Official CW app page: cwtv.com/shows/nancy-drew
- on The Internet Movie Database
- Nancy Drew (2019 TV series) on Wikipedia