- “Mysteries are everywhere, and I love solving them.”
- — Nancy Drew
Character description from the official synopsis:
- Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann) is a brilliant teenage detective whose sense of self had come from solving mysteries in her hometown of Horseshoe Bay, Maine – until her mother’s untimely death derails Nancy’s college plans. Devastated by her mother’s passing, Nancy swears off crime-solving while crossing off the days until she can re-apply to college. But when a socialite is murdered, Nancy finds herself a prime suspect in the crime, along with a group of other teens present at the scene: Nancy’s nemesis from high school, George Fan (Leah Lewis); a rich girl with a mysterious past, Bess Marvin; Nancy’s secret boyfriend, Ned “Nick” Nickerson; and amiable burnout Ace. The five of them must team up to clear their own names – encountering emotional entanglements and even more mysteries along the way. Nancy’s reawakening brings her into conflict with her widowed father, Carson Drew, who is dating Detective Karen Hart. And, when a supernatural presence begins to haunt Nancy’s investigation, she discovers that the current crime has an astonishing connection to the long unsolved murder of a local girl. Whether the ghost is here to help, or hinder Nancy remains to be seen, but one thing’s for sure: Nancy’s going to have to unravel the clues from both the living and the dead to solve the crimes.
- “Lucy's baby thrived. She grew up to be whip-smart, and compassionate, and kind, and...endlessly curious. And she loves solving mysteries.”
- — Carson about Nancy[source]
Nancy's biological mother was the seventeen-year-old Lucy Sable, who had a relationship with Horseshoe Bay's richest teen Ryan Hudson. Their relationship was frowned upon by Ryan's elite parents, who disapproved of Ryan's relationship with a "townie". They wanted Ryan to end things with Lucy, and to please his parents, they pretended to break up. They continued to see one another secretly, even after Ryan left for boarding school. They spent a final night together on New Years Eve, 1999. They failed to use protection and a few months later, Lucy found out she was pregnant. She kept her pregnancy as secret as she had been threatened by Everett Hudson, who told her that if she had the baby her life would be over and so would the child's. She arranged to meet with Ryan the night she died, as she wanted to tell him about the baby. Ryan didn't arrive in time, so Lucy went to the cliffs where she gave birth. She called Katherine Drew, her guidance counselor and confidante for help. Katherine and her husband, Carson, arrived moments after Lucy gave birth. She begged the couple to take her baby, raise it, and keep it safe from the Hudson's. When the Drew's turned their backs to examine the baby, Lucy either slipped or jumped off the cliffs which killed her.
Carson and Katherine brought the child back to their house, where they cared for her all night. By morning, they had fallen in love with the girl and named her Nancy. They left Horseshoe Bay to keep the child's origin a secret, but returned a few years later. Things were safer as everyone believed Nancy was their daughter, so they chose to stay and raise her in Horseshoe Bay. Nancy had a great life where she thrived and became enthralled in solving mysteries. Carson and Katherine never knew who Nancy's biological father was, and decided to keep Nancy's origins a secret for her own protection.
Nancy began solving various crimes from the age of twelve. When she was in seventh grade, a local girl named Rose Turnbull went missing and the whole own banded together to find her. Nancy was the only one who saw the abnormal behaviour exhibited by Nathan Gomber. She followed him to an abandoned warehouse where she ultimately found Rose and saved her life. She pulled the fire alarm to bring the police to her and Rose's location. She was successful, though the paranormal things she witnessed at the warehouse triggered her to put a wall up between her and the rest of the world. This included her father and mother. Nancy delved deeper into her amateur sleuthing ability, and even donned the nicknamed "Nancy Drew - Girl Detective.". She solved the following cases:
- "Local Detective Aids Police Hollow Oak Mystery Solved" (reference to The Message in the Hollow Oak)
- "Stolen Horse Returned"
- "Top Story: Girl Detective Uncovers Secrets of Pine Hill" (reference to The Phantom of Pine Hill)
- "Horseshoe Bay's Own 'Girl Detective' Identifies Serial Arsonist Based on Clues from Decades-Old Live Journal Posts"
- "Wooden Lady Missing From Ship: Young Detective Investigates Historical Relic" (reference to The Secret of the Wooden Lady)
- "Kidnapping Plot Uncovered - Ivory Charm Key Evidence" (reference to The Mystery of the Ivory Charm)
- "Daughter of Local Attorney Discovers Client's Missing Will in Antique Clock" (reference to The Secret of the Old Clock)
Despite Nancy's success at being a detective, her parents tried to discourage her as the local police found her as more of a menace than a helper. Nonetheless, she planned to attend Columbia University upon graduating. During her senior year of high school, Nancy's mother died of pancreatic cancer. This event ceased Nancy's desire to be a detective and she temporarily stopped being a detective. She deferred college for a year and secured a job as a waitress at The Claw. She also has a strained relationship with her father, which only worsened after her mother's passing. She also struck up a no-strings-attached relationship with the town mechanic, Ned "Nick" Nickerson.
Skills and Talents
Having taken up the life of a private detective at an early age, Nancy possesses a number of useful albeit less-than-legal skillsets to aid her investigations and avoid detection by the authorities, all of which were evidently self-taught to a very high level.
- High-Level Intellect: Nancy is extremely intelligent and highly knowledgable on a wide variety of subjects ranging from organic chemistry to metallurgy to art history. She is intimately familiar with the folklore and mythology surrounding Horseshoe Bay, is an avid reader and was a shoe-in to the college of her choice before her mother fell ill.
- Expert Detective: True to her reputation locally and beyond, Nancy is an extraordinarily gifted sleuth and investigator with astounding observational and deductive abilities; before her mother's passing, there was no mystery in town or its environs that she could not solve. She is well-versed in soft and hard interrogation, disarming witnesses, uncovering clues and cultivating a wide network of experts to call upon in times of need.
- Lock-Picking: Nancy is a master of picking locks to break into closed-off areas.
- In the novels her hometown is River Heights Illinois. In the CW series, her hometown is called Horseshoe Bay, Maine and Nancy's street is River Heights Drive.
- The actress who depicts Nancy as a preteen, Eden Summer Gilmore, previously portrayed a young Betty Cooper on fellow CW series, Riverdale. Betty's character is comparable to Nancy Drew by critics and viewers. Betty even herself is a fan of the Nancy Drew book series.
- Nancy took an online course in lip reading. This has helped her distinguish what people are talking about when she is out of hearing range.
- In The Haunting of Nancy Drew, Nancy learns that on the night of her birth, she was secretly adopted by Carson and Katherine Drew. Her biological parents are Lucy Sable and Ryan Hudson.
- Main article: Nancy Drew (2019 character)/Gallery
As the lead character, Nancy appears in all episodes of the series.
- The Girl In The Locket
- Deadline, The CW Pilot Finds Its Nancy Drew In Kennedy McMann, Casts Leah Lewis, Sets Larry Teng To Direct, Melinda Hsu To Run. February 14, 2019.
- KSite TV: Nancy Drew: Trailer For The CW’s New Mystery. May 16, 2019.