- While trying to uncover the truth about a long-buried history between Lucy Sable and Ryan Hudson, Nancy finds herself in the curious position of having to strike a deal with Horseshoe Bay’s newest and most suspect widower.
Nancy who hasn't been in detective game for months seems to have her finger on the pulse of what makes Horseshoe Bay tick. Lucy Sable written poem leads her to the underground one per cent party where only the elite receive invites. The gathering, referenced as “The Velvet Masque,” only occurs in Horseshoe Bay once every five years. Nancy apparently thought of it as a local urban legend, but when she discovered Ryan Hudson had been invited to the next gathering, she found it is very real.
With how ridiculously exclusive the gathering is, one apparently needs an ultra-rich benefactor to vouch for you so that you can gain admittance. Luckily for Nancy all of the Drew Crew is friendly with several wealthy individuals. However she chooses Ryan as her ticket in but there is a condition, He wants her to get dozen of ancient Roman coins. These coins apparently prove the Hudson family are somehow responsible for sinking a merchant ship. With the ship sunk, the family committed insurance fraud. Nancy finds out through visions Lucy gives her she was Ryan's date to The Velvet Masque of 1999 where she discovered that his mother Celia was having a affair with Sebastian Marvin who would later died when the ship he was on sank. Causing Nancy to be wary of the Hudsons and decides not to give Ryan the coins. Instead switching them out in a elaborate scheme keeping them for herself later to turn them into the proper authorities when confronted by Owen who got the fake set.
Cast and characters
- Kennedy McMann as Nancy Drew
- Leah Lewis as George Fan
- Maddison Jaizani as Bess Marvin
- Tunji Kasim as Ned "Nick" Nickerson
- Alex Saxon as Ace
- Alvina August as Detective Karen Hart (flashback only)
- Riley Smith as Ryan Hudson
- Scott Wolf as Carson Drew (credit only)
- Graeme Duffy as John Sander
- Marc-Anthony Massiah as Harbor Master
- Milo Shandel as Auctioneer
- Stephanie Van Dyck as Lucy Sable's ghost
- Lizzie Boys as Teen Lucy Sable
- Steven Allerick as Sebastian Marvin
- George: "You're helping Ryan Hudson?"
- Nancy: "Just today. It's important; he thinks somebody's trying to kill him."
- George: "So go help that person. Not the liar-slash-crazy ex-boyfriend in your kitchen who may have killed someone."
- This episode is loosely on the thirty Nancy Drew novel The Clue of the Velvet Mask sharing an simliar plot with it.